9.21.2009

Week 3 Pick-em Results. Shame.

Well, I’m astounded at how poorly I picked last week. The upsets that I picked didn’t happen and the surprises that did happened surprised me more than anyone. After a not-so-respectable week, I declare shame on myself for only going 15-7. I didn’t post my first two weeks, but here is my honest record from the first two weeks so we can get caught up: Week 1: 17-3; Week 2: 20-2. Making my grand total a much more respectable 52-12.

The biggest story of the week of course is USC going down at the hands of a much underrated University of Washington. Or was the USC offense just really OVERrated? It certainly didn’t help that they’re starting QB and best defensive player were sidelined with injuries. Matt Barkley and Taylor Mays certainly count for more than 3 points, but this game was not decided from the QB standpoint or a lack of defense (even though Jake Locker may be the best all-around QB in the nation). The Trojans stayed away from the pass like it was the Ebola virus even after picking up 20 quick yards in the air on the first two plays of the game. USC never threw deeper than about 15 yards.

USC isn’t out of the national championship picture quite yet, after BYU went down, it doesn’t seem like anyone is going to run the table this year, but I still think that USC has one more loss left in them. For the fourth straight year USC goes down on a “gimme” game. In the last seven years, 5 out of 6 USC losses have come against unranked PAC-10 opponents. With a true freshman QB and a new coaching staff, the PAC-10 Championship may be up for grabs more than it has ever been in the 7-year Pete Carroll domination era. USC’s frequent unexpected losses states that either Pete Carroll can’t make it through without a hiccup, or that the PAC-10 deserves more respect that it gets. One things for sure, no conference schedules tougher out-of-conference games than the PAC-10, and that has got to count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment